Wednesday, October 15, 2003

BOOKER MAN

DBC Pierre has won the Booker prize. I think this is a cool story, but then again I haven't yet read the book, Vernon God Little.

The story about this writer is that he was an insane addict up until a few years ago. His friend let him stay at his house and he sold it and spent all the money! He also hatched a crazy plan to go and find Monteczuma's gold in Mexico, and conned people into giving him thousands of pounds to finance the project! I love this guy!

Pierre says he'll use the 50 thousand pounds in prize money to pay back some of those pesky debts. He's kicked the drug habit, and now he's won the Booker. What fabulous success. Not every addict gets such a reward for kicking. Let's hope he can stay off the dope.

That last sentence reminds me to put up this link: Look for the story about the MacArthur Genius Grant.


I certainly want to get Vernon God Little now. Maybe it's in my wee local library. I can't afford inflated post-Booker prices.

Oh, BTW...I will be using this blog to take care of matters concerning the Million Book Club. We've been without a central presence on the web for a while now, so that is partly what this blog is about.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?