Thursday, October 23, 2003

Countdown to Halloween

I'm starting to get pretty excited about Halloween. I love this holiday, and like to put some effort and imagination into decorations and costumes. This year I'm at work more, so I'm a little late in getting started. Also this year, however, I'm invited to a costume party. Yay!!

Now, what to wear? Hubby and I want to do a couple-costume of some sort. I'm always thinking of great costumes when I don't have a party to go to, and now that I have one, I can't think of anything! I wanted to go as Wonder Woman, thereby living a lifelong fantasy (When I was little I used to do a lot of spinning around, flinging off my glasses and letting my hair tumble out of a bun. Broke many, many pairs of glasses that way.). But I don't think I can do the Wonder Woman thing this year, for reasons which will become obvious to all my friends soon enough.

I would love to be one of those clever women who knows how to sew on a machine. Of course, not having a machine that knowledge might not avail me anyway.

I'm trying to convince my kids to wear costumes we already have in our "tickle trunk". there are some great costumes in there. My daughter wants to be a witch, which I think we can manage pretty well. My son said he wanted to be a prince, which made me happy, but now he's changed his mind and says he doesn't want to be anything. Geez!! Last year he was a Formula One driver with a totally cool costume. All our Italian neighbours loved it, giving him extra candy and shouting "Shumacher!" at him. He liked the candy.

It's all fun. I can't wait to carve my pumpkin and roast the seeds and turn off all the lights and put the candles in the jack o' lanterns for the first time. Wooooooo! It's so fun. I gotta get me one of them sound effects records to play when the kids come over for candy. We always did that at my house when I was little. And my sister Amanda would dress up like a scarecrow and sit slumped in a lawn chair on the porch, like those fake guys that everyone has, but then, when the little kids would approach...Wah! She'd scare the crap out of them. It was great, and it always worked.

Last year we decorated with a "Wizard of Oz" theme, with a melted witch with a baby monitor inside for screams, and the Wicked Witch of the East's legs and feet sticking out from under the house like it had fallen on her. Brilliant, really, if I do say so myself.

Ooooh, I just had an idea. Maybe I'll go to the party as Glinda the Good Witch. I love she.

If I knew how to set up comments, I would invite suggestions. Sorry I'm so inept!



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?