Friday, October 17, 2003

Here's an unoriginal thought (not the last you'll see here): Meeting are a complete waste of time. Luckily I'm not important enough to have to go to many of them, and every time I do have to, I think about the Onion "article" about the happy temp. The piece ends with a quote from this happy temp worker saying something like "The secret to happiness is getting as far away from that fucking brass ring as possible".

I couldn't agree more. I have ambitions, but they are definitely not in the direction of managing lots of people and having an executive title. Those poor bastards who do are not the happiest people around. You know who are the happy people I've noticed? Artists, writers, musicians and people of their ilk. People who are "freelancers" and are really free in a way that others are not. I'm not saying that working in an office automatically destroys your soul. But there's something wrong with it as a way of life. One of the saddest things I see around me are those little bumper stickers and signs saying "I'd rather be fishing". Shouldn't things be structured so that you can go fishing if you damn well feel like it? Presumably you wouldn't do it all day every day. You'd still be a contributing member of society. But you'd be happy too.

At the moment I am working in an office, but it's temporary and it's actually very creative and fulfilling work. And thankfully there seems to be more and more of that out there. Our generation and the one after us are looking at work in a whole new way, it seems to me. I think it's very healthy, and the time when society conforms to the wishes of the people should only be a couple of generations behind!



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?