Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Who needs comments?

Well, I replaced the template that I totally f-ed up and things are looking a lit-tle better now. But I don't have commenting. That should be okay though; nobody reads this anyway!

Well, good news today. No headache so far. I had another sleepless night but without the pain, and I actually kind of enjoyed my insomnia, comparatively speaking.

So still no progress on the costume front. I simply don't have time to work on it, and I fear that I will end up going in some lame costume, like a "dead hockey player" or something stupid like that. (No offense to people who've done that, but really, how lazy can you get?) A friend here suggested going as someone from "Survivor", which would be pretty easy and an au courant take on the classic Castaway costume.

The other day we were driving around looking at people's Halloween decorations, and we saw an alien hanging from a tree. D. and I agreed that aliens are not really a fitting part of the halloween pantheon. Then D. said "Whatever happened to the Mummy? Howcome we never see him anymore?" And that gave me the idea that it might be funny to go as a mummy, if I can manage it. When I mentioned the idea to a friend at work, she asked "How will you go to the bathroom?" So I think this idea requires a little thought. But I like it! And it would have a funny twist, because a lot of my friends will be finding out that I'm pregnant at this party. Get it? Mummy...pregnant? Har har?

Oh, on another subject: Movie suggestion!! I really liked Topsy Turvy, which I borrowed from my local library last weekend (I love libraries so much, I can't tell you.). It's about Gilbert and Sullivan at the period in their career together where they created The Mikado.

It's so good, for the realism and subtlety of the acting and the period details. You watch it and you feel like you know what it was like to live in the 1880s. This is such a rare thing in period films, I wonder whether directors ever even strive to make it feel real. In Topsy Turvy it's done with seeming effortlessness. The acting is exquisite, the kind of acting that makes you realize that "okay" actors whom I like, like Gwyneth Paltrow or John Cusack or Al Pacino (though I haven't liked him in a film for a long, long time) are really not doing it right.

Anyway, check it out. It's cool. Gotta go pretend to work.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?