Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Ciao, Bella

My daughter starts Italian lessons this week.

Her school offers twice-weekly Italian lessons after school for free every year, courtesy of the local Italian-Canadian association.

Italian is a language I have always wanted to learn. For some strange reason I've always felt as though I would live in Italy some day. I don't know why; I don't have any Italian blood or any relations living there. I just feel like it's some kind of spiritual home for me. Weird.

I've been to Italy, or passed through at any rate, when I was travelling through Europe. I spent a day in Rome and the sights and sounds of that day are so vivid to me they pop into my mind on a surprisingly regular basis. I loved Rome, and all my impressions of Italy, even the lecherous men. Well, maybe not the one we woke up to in our train car. He was just suddenly there -- lying beside my friend with his leg over hers!

Well, I hope my daughter likes learning Italian. If she wants to, she can do it every year until Grade 6, by which time I think she'll have a pretty good command of it. It may help her get into an international school, and it will certainly be an asset, even if we never end up living in Italy. I'll make a point of taking her (and the other two, who will hopefully get lessons too!) there someday, by hook or by crook...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?