Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Goodbye Robert

I've been reading Boswell's Life of Johnson, and it makes me wish that I had more of a social life, particularly one that centres on what Boswell calls "conversation". This is more than just talking. It's discussion that elicits polite argument and debate, as well as wit.

The closest thing to this in my life is our crossword time around the lunch table here at work. The people who work here are very intelligent, even intellectual, people who are mostly very funny as well. You might say that we have a cast of characters here, many of whom join together at lunch to do the crossword in one of the big papers. The crossword clues allow us to go off in so many different directions. You never know what ribald story or philosophical speculation might arise from a simple word. It reminds me of Johnson's conversations because it is almost competitive in spirit, with everyone hoping to shine and make the others laugh and think and yes, admire their intellect!

One of the stalwarts of our crossword lunches is leaving. He got a great job in Toronto, and we are all very sad to see him go. He is a total character, with a caustic wit and an acid tongue and a truly gentle and generous heart. He is one of my favourite people these days, the kind of person I want to show off to others as my friend. I know we'll still see him occasionally, but everyone here will miss him terribly. He would have been right at home in a room with Samuel Johnson, and I wish him happiness and good conversation wherever he goes.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?