Monday, January 05, 2004

Almost forgot!

We went to see Return of the King over the holidays. Man, that is some movie. I can't even begin to say what it meant to me to watch it, but it was scary and fun and thrilling and romantic in the way movies were to me when I was a child. I love Gandalf and swoon over Aragorn and want to hang out with Legolas and Gimli and battle orcs and go to the tavern with the hobbits back in the shire. I lived inside the film while I watched it, and a little bit of me continued to do so all the next day and for a while after.

It is true that it is flawed in some serious ways. Leaving out something as crucial as The Scouring of the Shire is a mistake, overlooking one of the essential meanings of the tale. Perhaps it should have been done in six regular-length films, but it is a film experience that captures everything that film expresses best, heroic action and love and the fight between good and evil and the horror of war and the courage of the small.

It was a film adaptation whose time had come, and Peter Jackson was obviously the man for the job.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?