Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Archie 101

Couldn't sleep last night. As I was lying there with my mind jumping over about a thousand ideas a minute, I started to think about Archie comic books -- more specifically, I planned a syllabus for a university course on Archie comic books and the way they reflect major changes in American society.

I love Archie comic books, and always have. The old ones are of course infinitely better than the post-80s books. I have learned a great deal about life from those silly little things.

Just a few of the things Archie comics have taught me:

Guys will always want the aloof sexy girl more than the sweet, boring girl-next-door. (Don't believe them when they say Marianne is better than Ginger or Betty is hotter than Veronica. They don't know their own minds.)

Rich, athletic guys who are full of themselves (Reggie) are much less attractive than poor guys with criss-crosses on their heads (Archie) who are fun and really into making girls happy.

Going barefoot makes you feel free and relaxed.

The hamburger is the food of the glutton.

Being lazy and liking food a lot doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.

Being temporarily broke can lead you into all kinds of adventures, good and bad.

A "jalopy" is some kind of old crappy car.


There probably already exists somewhere a university course on Archie comic books. Still, I would like to teach one. You could also teach a course on fashion in Archie comic books. Some of my favourite looks can be found on the gals in those books.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?