Wednesday, January 14, 2004

January's Monkey

As part of the 12 Monkeys Project, here is a list of all the jobs I've held:

Sandwich counter girl in a mall food court.

My first after-school job to raise money for Cegep. They neglected to give me a plunger for the vegetable slicer, so I had to use my finger... Well, you can guess the rest. The story recently earned me $100 dollars from the Gazette, which is the only good that came of that experience. They fired me and forbade me to set foot on the premises once I got home from hospital minus some of my finger. Nice.

Shipper/Receiver in a handbags and accessories warehouse.

Not a bad job. The truck drivers were so surprised to see a girl in the warehouse they usually did all the heavy lifting for me. I liked working there, but only stayed long enough to earn the money for a trip to Europe.

Secretary, then Tech Writer/Executive Assistant in a Clinical Research firm.

A good job, where I learned much that has been of use to me since. I was literally chased around my desk by a lecherous co-worker here, something I thought only happened in cartoons. Considering I showed up the first day still drunk as a skunk from the night before and wearing my skull-buckle boots, I had a good long run at this job, and was quite a hit with the higher-ups before I left to go to University full-time. This was where I learned that I could do much much more.

Receptionist/Researcher for University Cinema Dept.

A very handy little part-time job during my university years. Learned how a university dept. works, and got enough special projects in writing and editing to keep me interested.

ESL teacher (corporate contracts)

Good Bread n' Butter job, very part-time, that taught me how to work autonomously and create my own curriculum. Did this on and off from the end of my MA degree until I was 6 months pregnant with my second child. Left when the boss insulted me by offering to split the long-distance charges incurred while teaching a correspondence course. Not a well-paid job, and finally I felt nickel-and-dimed to death.

Stay-at-home mom

It's a wonderful life.

My present job

Which I'd rather not go into; too much personal information. Suffice to say it's something of a dream job in a place where I've always wanted to work. Finally using more than 2% of my brain.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?