Monday, January 19, 2004

Lottery dreams

Couldn't sleep last night (again. Argh.), and in order to get my mind off of what's troubling me, I fantasized about winning the lottery. This is a fairly infrequent occurence for me, because we rarely get lottery tickets. We figure we're too poor to throw away money on something like that, but every now and then I buy one just for the fun of imagining what I would do...

I thought I would give the same amount money to each member of my immediate family, regardless of need, just to avoid fights. Then I would give to a few friends who need or could really use a nice fat cheque. Then I would set aside a certain amount for immediate gifts to charity, then another amount as a kind of "foundation" to invest and keep giving money to charity over the long term.

Then we would take a big vacation, and renovate and expand our house in the city. Then I would buy a house somewhere nice to get away to.

I would have a financial advisor to help me with investments and what not, and I would put away a whack of cash for my children's education and nest egg. I might also send them to private school, but I'd have to think about that, because I'm kind of opposed to private school philosophically. Maybe it would be better to donate money to the public school board.

I might splurge on some extravagance like a Volvo station wagon, and a driver. I would love to have a driver, but since I don't really go places very much, I might need to hire a handyman-cum-driver or something like that, just to get my money's worth.

What am I saying? who cares about getting your money's worth when you're rich?


What would you do if you won?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?