Monday, March 15, 2004

Had a great weekend, restful yet fun.

I've been feeling overwhelmingly sleepy for the past week or so, so I took a few lovely naps during my four days off, feeling only slightly guilty about all the things I'm not getting done.

On Friday I spent a long time alone with my son. We went to our favourite library, which is about a half-hour's walk away, and had a nice quiet time together. On our walk home we stopped in at a restaurant for lunch. He's such great company, such a calm and happy presence in my life. We always have interesting things to talk about, and I love to watch the way he goes through the world.

Lately D and I have been excited to see how the little guy's drawings have changed, getting more sophisticated by the day. Today he drew a horse, copying from one of his sister's artworks. It was the first drawing he'd done of a non-human form. I find this kind of thing fascinating; just one of the many interesting things about having children.


On Saturday, I proposed to my daughter that she go for a chess lesson and maybe join the chess club at that same library. She was right into it, so off we went to check it out (they meet every Saturday afternoon). When we showed up, a fellow came up to us and asked if we were there for the Science Playground. We said no, but we were interested! So we went up to the auditorium where this total cutie had set up all kinds of science games and puzzles and experiments. We had a blast up there, and it turns out that he is also one of the chess teachers, and he gave my daughter a very long one-on-one lesson, which she thoroughly enjoyed. She beat him 2 times out of 3, and he told me afterwards that she is very good, and has the potential to be one of the best students he's had! I'm so proud of her; not only because she's good at chess, but because she's so willing to try new things and meet new people, and she's a good sport and I could tell (I was nearby during her leson) that he enjoyed her company, even though she's only six years old.

So now I have a chess geek in the family, and I couldn't be happier. And her little brother is learning to play too. I think that learning these kinds of things is good for their minds, whether or not they keep it up later in life. It also teaches them good sportsmanship and how to get along with people, and exposes them to different people than those they meet at school or in the playground or at soccer or whatever.

So that was good!

Our book club meeting on Friday evening went well, with lots of stimulating discussion about the book and other stuff (politics, motherhood, baby names, etc.). Opinions of the book varied quite widely, which is somewhat unusual for us, and made for a good chat. As usual I was impressed with the brains and personalities of the women of the club. I feel lucky to be a part of it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?