Monday, March 08, 2004

Relaxation, sleep and fear


Had a four-day weekend, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I especially enjoyed going to my sister's place up north for a couple of days, even though lousy weather prevented us from doing most of the things we enjoy doing up there. It's like a mini-holiday for us when we visit: nice meals;great company; happy, preoccupied children and a break from the normal demands of our life. And mountains, forests and lakes all around us, when it's only about an hour's drive away. In short -- perfect!

The children enjoyed their March break. They seem to have had a good balance of activity and rest. I find that they get tired from school (and pre-school) and life and need to unplug sometimes, just like adults do, so I appreciate school breaks and ped-days and the like. Yesterday the little one fell asleep on the couch at 5 pm, missed supper and slept right through the night until 7:15 this morning. I'm sure it did him the world of good. I suspect that he's been going through a growth spurt; I've noticed that these don't stop after the baby years, and the symptoms of growth spurts remain the same: irritability followed by a spike in appetite followed by fatigue. The actual growth usually shows up in tighter-fitting clothes about a week after the whole cycle is complete.

On the pregnancy front, all is still well, tho' I had to read my family the riot-act this weekend because my sleeplessness is really getting me down. I insisted that D. talk to a pharmacist about his snoring (a recent development) and forbade the children from coming into my room and waking me unless it's an emergency.

I am getting rather *ahem* -- large. So far my face and hands etc. haven't bloated up, so I'm not feeling too down about my appearance, but it's certainly getting harder every day to do things like climb stairs, bend over, and sit on the floor. Also, I've noticed that when I lie on my back momentarily (a habit I find difficult to break), I now feel dizzy and feel my heart beating wildly. According to my book, lying on your back puts weight on a big artery called the Vena Cava, and should be avoided. But it's only recently that I've experienced the effects of that so immediately and scarily.

Speaking of fear, I've been thinking about the delivery lately, and feeling -- what's the word? -- apprehensive? about the pain that I know I will have to endure. Best not to think about it, I know, but I guess a little fear is inevitable. I just have to remember: It's only a few hours of my life, no matter how hideously painful it is. Right? Right?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?