Tuesday, March 23, 2004

The underground

I haven't felt much like blogging lately, although my life has been pretty eventful. Unfortunately, most of the events have been of a personal nature that would be pretty uninteresting to anyone outside of my closest circle. All is well, though. Just un peu compliqué.

This story brings a song to my heart. Finally, a cash infusion for our aging metro system! I actually think that their plans to use the money are good, focusing mainly on the things that are really awful about our still-pretty-good system.

No mention, though, of simply running more metros at peak times. The crush in those cars during rush hour is a downright frightening experience for a claustrophobe like me, all the more so because I now have a rather protuberant belly!

No mention either of improvements for the disabled. Our whole transit system is a disgrace as far as access is concerned. Every metro station requires you to walk up or down flights of stairs. Although replacing escalators will help the situation for people with strollers or limited walking capacity, why not put elevators in some of the stations for people in wheelchairs? It doesn't seem like a far-fetched idea to me.

I am truly gratified, however to hear that they will be making changes to Beaudry metro. It is, hands down, the most hideous and even creepy station I've seen, and it's the one closest to my office! Because it's so awful I avoid it, and walk the 10-15 minutes to Champ-de-Mars station, which is really quite lovely.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?