Friday, September 24, 2004

Free

Another beautiful day here, with leaves just beginning to turn on some trees and still green everywhere else. The maple that gives shade to our backyeard is the earliest tree to change colour every year. It starts to turn in late August; already it is completely red, or what leaves are left, anyway -- about half of them are already on the ground. It fills the view from the baby's bedroom window and I love to look at it as I sit and nurse her with no sound but the birds outside and her little gulps and breaths as she drinks.

The bigger ones are at school. It's pizza day today, where they get pizza ordered in. The last day of every month is pizza day and "free dress day", when they don't have to wear the school colours. I think it's a good idea, and they look forward to it. It's the first time for the littler one, and he's totally into it. He wore his coolest shirt, the one with the skull on it that says "Honor or Glory", whatever that means.

I looked at my atlas this morning, now that I know the name of the village in Botswana where my sister will live for the next two years. It's in between the Kalahari game preserve and a national park. I vowed to myself that I would do my best to get there for a visit before the two years is up. I miss her.

My great friend is coming over today to take me and the baby out for a few hours. It should be fun. I'd better go and shower and dress. Life seems so leisurely and luxurious today somehow. Must be the sunshine and the air at this perfect temperature.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?