Sunday, September 26, 2004

Missing them

The kids went to spend yesterday and last night at my sister's place, a little treat for them (and for her, I hope). It's the first time that D. and I have been without them in the house overnight. They once stayed over at our next-door neighbours', but we went to a B & B that time, so didn't miss their presence in our home. I'm surprised at how intensely I miss them, particularly since the baby is here with us. I think she notices their absence too, but how can I be certain of that?

Speaking of missing, I am still missing my sister in Africa pretty badly, 'tho reading her blog helps a little. I can experience some of her adventure vicariously. So can you if you're interested.

Who am I not missing? D's mother, I'm sorry to say. Her visit to Montreal turned out to be an enormous snub of our family, resulting in tears and confusion on the part of my daughter, who is old enough to know when something's not right, and utter confusion and anger on my part and hurt on D's. I don't know what's going on with her, but there's no excuse for not wanting to see your grandchildren, especially a new baby granddaughter.

Lucky for us, my side of the family is here in Canada, and about as large and loving (if somewhat insane) a family as anyone could hope for.

My favourite time of year is not letting me down. The weather is cool and bright and the world is colourful and fresh. The geese are leaving for warmer climes, thrilling my heart with their noisy passage over our house. I've seen and heard them four times in the last week, and every time my eyes fill with tears and my heart beats faster and I breathe a little deeper. I don't know why I love them so much; they make me feel connected to the world around me I guess. It's a primal thing, I think.

I'll miss them too, until they come again.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?