Friday, October 08, 2004

Old and New

Took a trip to my old neighbourhood today. It's not far away, just a bus ride, really, but I have only recently figured out a way to take the bus with the baby. Well today is such a gorgeous day we (baby and I) decided to go and cruise around Sherbrooke St. west, where D. and I (and the 2 older kids) lived until three years ago this September. The area was featured in the Gazette earlier this week, as a revitalized strip that seems to be leaning toward the funky, organic, granola-ish side of business. This is right up my alley, of course, and I feel as though I have helped it get that way, in my own small way, by supporting the first new businesses of that type that came along while we lived there: The cooperative store, the art gallery, the organic bakery. Now there is a Mexican restaurant, which is funny because D. and I have been saying for years that a mexican restaurant would be the perfect thing to open in that area. There is also a funky bohemian cafe (not a franchise) and some fun second-hand and first-hand stores. Fortunately the old stores and restos are still there too, and the Iranian, Indian, Korean, and many West Indian restaurants seem to be thriving in the new atmosphere. The two bars still seem to have the same afternoon alcoholic patrons as always, but then I wouldn't want to see them driven away. All in all it felt good, a perfect mix of the old and the new: M'Lady Lingerie meets Shaika cafe. I miss living there a little, but as I walked down my street heading home I felt very relaxed and a smile came to my face. I think I'm quite content just to visit the old 'hood.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?