Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Voter TV

I know what I will be watching tonight: PBS Frontline's doc on the two candidates in the US election. Frontline continues to earn my respect and admiration with its research, balance and respect for the intelligence of its viewers. Count on this to be an informative look at what makes these two men tick.

I can't remember when I've been so interested in politics as I am in this election campaign. Polls indicate that America is split in two, and I believe it. Even the pop culture reflects this: Last night's WIFE SWAP was a perfect example of how different people can be and still be typically American. One couple were animal-rights supporters and obviously educated (though thoroughly annoying, spoiled and unbelievably lazy), the other were gun-totin', flag-wavin' rednecks (intolerant, judgemental and incredibly selfish) You know who each couple is voting for without it ever coming up, and they couldn't be farther apart in their understanding of one another and the world.

The best illustration was the scene where the animal-lovin' woman was saying a prayer over the mounted deer-head that she was having removed from the gun-lovin' guy's house, and he interrupted the prayer with a huge belch as he drank beer from a can behind her.

Never the twain shall meet. I don't envy whoever has to govern that nation, but I'm glad that so many widely differing views are allowed to coexist and find expression there. It's what makes the country great.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?