Monday, November 01, 2004

The Hangover

Holy shit I'm tired. We're all tired after an over-the-top Halloween weekend culminating in a rainy, windy evening of trick-or-treating. The kids actually asked if we could go home after we'd done our street and about half of the next one over. The weather sucked, and we only got about half the traffic we got last year so we have several pounds of left-over candy. Luckily I don't really like candy. On the whole it wasn't disappointing, though. My kids are so great; they enjoy looking at the dressed-up houses and other kids as much as the trick-or-treating itself.

Two funny/strange moments: One old Italian guy yells over to me as I wait for my kids at the kerb: "Look at this weather!! It couldn't hold off for a couple of hours, the sonofabitch?!!" My kids don't seem to notice the cussing and say sweetly "Thank you. Happy Halloween!" I chuckle furiously. Then, at 9:30 at night, as hubby and I sit collapsed on the couch watching Chris Rock on DVD, someone rings our bell, then knocks, so D. goes over to the window and says "sorry, we're closed", in gesture-language. The kid, who appears to about 9, is out there with his dad, not wearing a costume or anything. They don't go away; they stay and yell "Yoo Hoo!" for the next five minutes or so until D. opens the door and gives them some candy. We figure they might be new to the concept of trick-or-treating, or maybe dad gets home late from work and they decided to try their luck. Then I remembered that the exact same thing happened last year! Maybe they remembered that I caved in then too, and figured we were good for a handful of tootsie rolls. Weird though. Isn't knocking on someone's door that late -- without a costume on -- just begging, essentially?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?