Friday, December 10, 2004

Aaaaah





I love baths. I come from a family of bathers, in fact. I have many memories from my youth of sitting on top of the toilet while my mom was taking a bath and chatting with her. Then I would be called upon to wash her back; this always included a good back scratch. This is where I developed my back-scratching skills, including the patience to scratch for a good long time.

These were good times with my mom, and in a family of ten they were stolen moments of individual attention. Looking back I'm surprised she let me hang out with her. For the adult (parent) me, bathtime is really "my" time, a time when I can be alone with a book and enjoy having my thoughts to myself. Once, however, my two older kids woke up and came into the bathroom while I was reading in the bath. They thought it was absolutely hilarious. To them, bathtime is fun and playful, and really for kids. So when they came in and saw me lying there with a book up to my nose and my pregnant belly looming up over the water, they giggled like crazy. We talked a bit, even though it was late, and we had fun. That is a memory that they enjoy now, and might keep for a while.

My bathing has increased of late, as it does every winter. My feet get chilled and then there's only one thing to do and that's have a hot bath. I love getting into bed afterwards, still all warm and relaxed. It's heavenly. But baths are good in hot weather too. I once knew a guy, a big guy who was a bouncer and had the deepest voice I've ever heard, who would spend the entire day in a bath of cool water on hot summer days. He'd listen to music, read books and even receive visitors (including me once) while lying in the tub. He was a character.

I have a very good friend who hates baths. We travelled around Europe together when we were younger and whenever she was forced to bathe instead of shower she grizzled and groaned and complained that she felt dirty afterwards. I don't understand it! To me a bath is the perfect combination of luxury and usefulness. I come out feeling clean and warm and pampered..


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?