Monday, December 20, 2004

I feel so inadequate

We have a little tradition in our little family: Every year on the weekend before Chistmas we get in the car after supper and drive around neighbourhoods not our own to see all the Christmas-light displays. Now, everybody knows that the less-wealthy neighbourhoods always have the best displays. "Ethinicity" also plays a role, but really economics seem to be the determining factor.

Well, after going along the bright and festive streets of Ville St. Pierre and Lachine, our drive through the rather tony environs of our street (our street is not swanky at all, but we live very close to a very expensive part of town, with mansions and stuff) paled in comparison. Oh, the decorations in the rich neighbourhood were beautiful, and tasteful. But tasteful is not what's called for here, in my view. Childlike exuberance is what makes for good Christmas decoration. I suppose lots of free time helps too.

Well, my own decorations, which seemed nice enough before, now seem rather paltry and subdued. Granted, my hubby has been very sick and whiny for two weeks and therefore did not want to help much, and I can't do much with a baby on my back (literally). But these are just excuses. Next year I hope I remember this lesson and go all out. After all, we're a lot closer, in spirit as well as income, to the modest, crazy-lights neighbourhoods than we are to the Martha Stewart neighbourhood nearby.

Bring on the giant inflatable penguins!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?