Tuesday, December 14, 2004


Look out!


I am going to learn to drive. I know, I know, it's pathetic that I haven't learned before now, when I have three children and a car as well, for godsake. But I never really wanted to drive until I had a couple of kids, and by then I had neither the time nor the money for lessons. I'm not scared to drive, and I think I'd be a pretty good driver.

But now I'm determined. In fact I told my husband on his birthday (August) that as a gift to him I promise to be driving before his next birthday. This is because he has to do all the driving for our family. He doesn't complain, and he's always been super-sweet about it, but when your kids get older they need to be taken places more, and that means that a lot of his free time is taken up with errands and chauffeur work.

Also, I think about worst-case scenarios a lot, and I'd like to know that if something happened when I'm home alone with the baby/children, I would be able to get them to the hospital quickly. Of course with only one car, the chances of me and the car being home without D. are pretty slim, but what if he was hurt? Anyway, there are lots of reasons to want to know how to drive.

Besides, my 89-year-old neighbour says I absolutely should learn. She never did and she is bound by bus routes and taxi fares now that she can't walk so well anymore.

But then I imagine myself driving when I'm her age....yeesh! Now that's scary.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?