Friday, February 11, 2005

Endings and Beginnings - Part the Second

I still don't have a lot of time to post, but here's the upshot of my conversation with my boss:

I told her I didn't want to come back to the same job. She reacted extremely well, and offered me work in the field in which I wanted to get experience.

We talked about the possibilities, all of which are exciting and interesting.

I will work this coming Sunday night! and on very occasional one-day jobs until I go back for good (part-time) when my EI runs out in late April. This will allow me to get the baby used to being without me for a bit at a time.

Phew! Now, to find out about child care. Difficult? Daunting? Well, the same day I talked to two friends in the neighbourhood, one of whom offered to look after my daughter in my home, the other of whom recommended a home day-care with only 6 children just on the corner of my street. It's good, it's homey and loving, it's flexible, and it's cheap! So I now have two very good options just steps away from my house.

I still hate to leave my baby, even for a couple of days a week, but at least I can do this the way I need to, knowing all the while that I will be with her 5 out of every seven days. It's the best of both worlds.

The only downside is that I have given up a sure thing (my old job) for what is basically freelance work, with no real obligations from my employer. But that's the way I've worked for many years now, and I kind of like it. I like my freedom too, and there's plenty of time in the future for so-called "sure things".

I may even be able to go back to university in the next year or so. Who knows?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?