Friday, March 11, 2005

There is an older fellow on our street who chats with us every morning as we stand at the kids' bus stop. He is about 70, by my guess, and he jogs and goes to the gym every morning. (He is returning home when we see him at 8 am) He is funny and friendly and obviously loves children. He is a professor at Concordia and he is from India. He once told me "I could drink a whole vat of E-coli and not get sick; I grew up in India! I was raised on E-coli!"

He lives alone in a slightly run down Cape Cod house with an overgrown lawn and he doesn't rake his leaves in the fall.

This afternoon I ran into him on the street and he told me that he is off to Vancouver next week. "Oh, I hope you enjoy it!" I said. Then he told me that he is going to Vancouver because his whole family was killed in the Air India crash, and he is going to be present in court as they finally hand down a verdict in the bombing case.

He lost his two daughters, 11 and 14 years old, his wife and his mother-in-law. His daughters knew everyone on the street, they used to call everyone "Auntie" and "Uncle" and they were sweet and everyone loved them. That's what he told me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?