Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Work and Work

This article was interesting to me, and encouraging. It also reflects my own experience at work. While I have missed out on full-time job opportunities because of my insistence on maintaining my part-time status, I don't think that it has diminished my chances of growing and experiencing interesting work, and I don't feel as though I am any less respected and well-thought-of because of my part-time status. Sometimes I think it works in my favour, because I don't have to take whatever work I'm offered and get locked into a job I don't want or that doesn't advance my career in the direction I desire.

I have made the choice to make much less money for the years when my children are little. It is a very pleasant surprise to find that I haven't had to sacrifice interest and at least some kind of advancement because of my decision to be a part-time worker and full-time mother. I am very lucky, and recognize that fact every day. I am grateful, and hope to give everything I can to both roles.

It can work, but you've got to be lucky and accept the fact that you are not going to have a lot of the material things that people tend to take for granted these days. That's not for everyone, but it has been good for us.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?