Tuesday, April 05, 2005

#$@^&*$ Farmers!

I hate daylight savings time. Before I had kids it was bad enough, but now I dread the "Spring forward". It is particularly galling this year, when we all need as much sleep as we can possibly get, what with sickness having moved in as our 6th family member. Anyway, I will not rant about it any more, but really, aren't we all groggy enough at this time of year?

Still no washing machine. I hate being poor sometimes. What I wouldn't do to just go out to the appliance store and buy a new washer. Sigh... On the bright side, my trips to the laundromat have been kind of fun and enlightening. I used to go to the laundromat all the time, right up to the year we had our second child. (Oh my god, my baby is crawling towards the green light on my hard drive!! All may soon be lost!) Where was I? Oh yeah, I like the laundromat and I always end up talking with someone interesting there. My kids, on the other hand, got bored after the first half hour and asked for food for the next two hours. Can't say that I blame them, since it was just about supper time when we finished. The time when I went without any children was much more relaxed, and I actually got to read my book in peace, which is a rare enough occurrence for me these days.

I saw my neighbour this morning, the man who lost his family in the Air India bombing. He looks about ten years older than he did before he went to Vancouver for the verdict. He's angry about it, and we talked a bit. When he first saw us, he said hello to my baby in the stroller and she gave him a sweet little smile. He said that a baby's smile makes you forget everything. Then he said "I miss my kids." It breaks my heart. His two girls would have been almost my age now, maybe with children of their own. He lost all of that -- the richer, deeper future that is given to us when we have children.

Maybe daylight savings time and a broken washing machine aren't such bad things -- just petty annoyances in the scheme of things.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?