Friday, April 29, 2005

Mmmmm

Food and me go way back. I don't eat to live, I live to eat.

I have a fairly large repertoire of dishes that I cook now, with varying success. Some of my best involve eggs: Quiche is a weekly regular; vegetable pot pie is a recent favourite; pasta prima vera and infinite variations on the creamy sauce are last-minute friends that always get good reviews. Good old spaghetti with red sauce is my all-time favourite comfort food. I also do a few Mexican dishes that incorporate beans in satisfying ways.

Of course, as anyone who knows me already knows, I am a vegetarian. A real vegetarian who doesn't eat meat or chicken or fish or seafood or anything else that used to walk, fly or swim. I do eat eggs and dairy, however. I have found in recent years that vegetarianism isn't even an issue when I cook; I just automatically cook vegetarian, usually a recipe or variation of a recipe that comes out of a sunny culture, Greek, Moroccan, Spanish, Lebanese, Indian, Italian, etc... I hardly ever use tofu or any other kind of "meat replacement" because I just never saw the need to; I don't miss meat that much! I will, however use tofu in dishes that would normally call for it, Japanese and Chinese dishes mostly. But even then, I like a stir-fry with vegetables only, with a few cashews or almonds thrown in for protein, and just because they rock.

Tonight I'm going to try something new, a recipe I saw in the newspaper yesterday: Eggplant Pilaf. It sounds totally yum, but we'll see what happens when I get my hands on it. I'm not the best cook in the world, but I'm getting better. And I enjoy food -- which bears repeating only because it is important to my happiness. Food, cooking, eating, feeding family and friends and sitting 'round the table talking. The stuff of life, and another reason to be thankful that I live in this time and place.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?