Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My first reaction when I heard that the new pope was none other than Joseph Ratzinger was "Oh, no!...really?!"

Ratzinger, or Benedict XVI, is the arch-nemesis of progressive Catholics, who have known and disliked him and feared his influence for a long time. I honestly didn't think they'd be able to elect him, but since his election I've heard enough to temper my negative reaction and hope that he has the wisdom and intellect and holiness to lead the church. The question is: Are there any reins on him?

I called my mom right away, to get her reaction. As an activist in the church and a woman who works hard as a lay person to further the church's Christian message as well as its relevance in the world, I knew she would be disappointed. In fact she is angry. After an enlightening talk about his history and the history of the papacy and the prophecies of Malachi (that say this pope is the second-to-last pope), we had a little laugh about his name, which is straight out of an Indiana Jones movie where the Germans are all evil Nazis (talk about yer redundant adjectives) with sticks up their arses. My mom pointed out that another candidate for pope was named Tetrazini, which means, according to her, "bull's tits -- an unfortunate name, especially for a pope!" Which may be a joke that only Catholics would get.

I heard today that Quebec's Cardinal Ouellet may get Ratzinger's old job. That wouldn't surprise me, as he has been in the inner circle at the Vatican for a while now. I had the chance to interview Marc Ouellet when he was a Bishop, and we talked a lot about John Paul II and his mission and theology, as well as Ouellet's own personal and intellectual life, which is full and interesting. Ouellet made a great impression on me, as a holy man who is guided by prayer and a desire to see the Holy Spirit moving in the world. You never know -- he might be pope someday. I would not be sorry to see it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?