Saturday, May 14, 2005

Dreaming

I know it's supposed to be lame to tell people about your dreams, but I actually like to hear about other people's dreams, and my dream-life is so intense and such a big part of my total life that I hate to ignore it.

Most of my dreams take place in a fallen world; there are fewer people, things are broken and dirty and the surroundings aren't as important as what's going on emotionally. But the setting is always interesting and lends a mood to the whole dream experience.

The me that exists in my dreams is a kind of camera-me, a visual and emotional (sub)consciousness that doesn't see itself, but experiences things and people in a kind of hollowed-out way, without much interior thought and the kind of basic awareness that perhaps an animal or insect might have. But the emotional life of this dream-me is intense, perhaps all the more so because the thought/logical life is so simplified.

I have always felt that my dream life is important, that in a way it is experience, even if it only happens in my brain (and sometimes I'm not sure that it is only in my brain -- Sometimes I'd swear that it's a kind of astral flying). I certainly feel that I gain real wisdom from listening to my dreams, just like I do (sometimes!) from waking-life experiences.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?