Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Movie Review -- Kung Fu Hustle Starring and created by Tommy Chow

Wild. Totally freakin' outrageous.

I saw this film on a rainy Saturday afternoon and I was the only person in the theatre. I left all adult logic at the door and enjoyed every minute of this insane movie, sitting back and watching the cartoonish characters kick the crap out of each other in an ever-accelerating whirlwind of unbelievable superhero fight scenes.

It makes little sense, and it's shockingly violent, for a cartoonish kung fu flick, but it's so OTT it has to be seen to be believed. One of my favourite things about it was the scenery/set-design. The evil "Axe Gang" is awesome and strange, with their top-hats and their silent dancing. The landlady alone is worth the price of admission.

It's flawed, for sure, but so inspired. If we don't see Kung Fu Hustle imitators in the coming years, I'll eat my top hat.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?