Tuesday, June 28, 2005

RIP, Piglet & Tigger

The actors who voiced Piglet and Tigger died, one after the other, last weekend. Although the characters had true fictional life on the page alone as A.A. Milne wrote them, those actors made them a part of the fictional menagerie within my mind and memory.

Apologies for having neglected my poor old blog for so long. I was doing so well, too! I've been trying to squeeze in some work time on the computer while the baby naps, and just haven't been able to manage blogging as well in that limited time-frame.

We went to a new place on the weekend, one to which we plan to return frequently over the summer: the beach on Ile Bizard. Never heard of it? You're not alone, and that's what makes it so great. It's a bit of a secret. It's quite wonderful, even if the beach itself is kind of grody. The water looks like strong coffee and I could have sworn I felt a burning sensation when I waded in. But hey, it's Montreal! Whaddya want, white sand and clear water? Come on! Actually, while the water is so-so, the surrounding area is lovely, with loads of trails leading to pretty views and rocky "cliffs" and lovely yachts and sailboats gliding across your line of sight. It was a great place to go, and completely free, except for parking. The bird sounds were amazing too; I bet you could do some great birding there in the early hours.

Life has been eventful, very social and busy and fun. My nephew came into town from Vancouver last week. He's 29, and it always surprises me to see him. He's a lovely man, wise and kind and gentle. But I can still see him the day he left for Vancouver when he was only two. In a tiny red velvet suit, his curly white hair like a halo around his little cheeky face, not knowing where he was going or how everything would change. How we cried to see him go! But he and my sister (his mom) made a go of it and stayed out west and it's their home after all these years.

I've been feeling nostalgic lately...memories seem to be crowding in a little more closely. Sometimes the veil between the past and the present feels thin.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?