Friday, July 01, 2005

Caaa-naa-daaa, weeee love theeeee..

It's muggy and mosquitoey and I've had just about enough of this weather, much as I hate to complain...har har.

Some of my more loyal readers may remember a certain rant I posted about the CBC's Sounds Like Canada, hosted by the dreaded Shelagh Rogers. I basically said that she sucks as an interviewer and the show is a parade of lame ideas and so much feel-good content it makes you feel bad -- like, throwing the radio out the window bad.

Well, Shelagh has been replaced for 3 weeks by Jian Ghomeshi, who is rocking the joint. He is so good it makes me talk to the radio with encouraging and excited words, like "Way to go!" and "I love you Jian!" Some of the content is still the old SLC dreck, which is just unacceptable for a national show -- Their team needs a big shake-up -- but somehow Jian can make even that shit sound allright, sometimes by taking a funny ironic tone.

I like Jian; I've met him and hung out with him a little. He's cool and he's a good guy who's really smart. And he's young and branshay (to coin a phrase) and just the kind of host SLC should have had in the first place. I'm sure Shelagh's a great person, but she seems like even more of an old fart now that I've heard her bitchin' replacement.

Oh, but can I just say one negative thing about what I heard today on CBC? Randy Bachman, who is going to host his own disc show on the Corp this summer, was in to promote the show by talking about his favourite driving songs. Okay, a nice obvious theme. But one of the songs he chose was "I drove all night" by (according to him) Celine Dion! He didn't even know of the existence of the Cyndi Lauper and Roy Orbison versions! What's up with Randy Bachman, and how am I supposed to find his purported expertise credible now? Man, he just ruined what could have been a good relationship. Oh, by the way, Jian brought up the Cyndi Lauper version, and Bachman was like, "Uh, I didn't know about that". He was even talking like Celine Dion wrote the song, which anyone who knows anything should know is impossible. I like Celine Dion, don't get me wrong. But she doesn't write songs, and her cover, while acceptable, has nothing of the passion and plaintive yearning that Lauper and Orbison expressed through that song. Bad Randy Bachman, Bad!!

Comments:
sorry becca, jian is an inept fool. granted, he knows a lot about music - but the praise must end there. the poems with which he opens SLC are as often insipid as they are offensive. his interviewing skills (and i use that word loosely) leave much to be desired - he cannot empathize with his interviewing subjects, cannot ask incisive questions, and makes even the most interesting subjects sound like bufoons.

i'm not usually a hater, but i really think jian must go.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?