Monday, August 22, 2005

Vacation highlights

Okay. I'm sure you don't want to know all about my summer vacation, so I'll just put down a few thoughts and memories for myself. After all, this is a journal, right?

The campsite was perfect, a little point of land between a lake and a lovely little river, about a hundred feet across. Our trailer was about 6 feet from the lake, and when I waded in, dozens of little fish would come around and a few brave souls would nibble at my feet.

The first time we went to Sandbanks, to the beach (walking distance from our campsite), the first words out of my mouth as we crested the dune and beheld the beach were "Oh my god!" I'd never seen a beach like this before: white sand, greeny-blue surf and clear water as far as the eye could see. D. said it was as nice as South Carolina, and better in a way because you didn't step on life forms as you waded out.

The owner of the campground came up as we ate outside the trailer on our third night there and offered to take us for a ride on his pontoon boat. This was delightful. We went down the river, through the provincial park, and saw all kinds of vegetation and fish and birds. The sun was setting and the air was crisp and clear. I love boating. I was drinking a beer at the time as well, which was perfection.

The baby loved crawling around the wilderness so much she developed what I call her "camping crawl", a high-steppin' kind of crawl where she lifted her arms high in the air, like she was dancing.

I adopted a spot just beyond our camper, where the grassy hill looked over the lake. I would put my chair there and read my book in the breeze, the sound of the waves lapping up against the shore, birds and fish dipping and jumping between sky and water. The last morning there I felt such a sense of peace and connectedness that it felt like wisdom.

Noone got hurt or sick, we didn't spend tons of money and we only had one day of rain, and that was only intermittent showers. All in all, a beautiful vacation.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?