Thursday, September 15, 2005

Update: Working From Home

Well, it's been two months since I made the decision to try my luck at freelance writing, and things are going remarkably well. I've had pretty regular work from one source and occasional work from another, though two potential steady editing jobs have fallen through on the other ends. Considering I haven't done any work marketing myself, I feel like I've managed to get a decent amount of work.

I'm still working out the kinks of working from home, though. I haven't yet learned how to work when I get a little time alone (when the baby naps), because there are just so many other things that need to be done (housework, phone calls, bill-paying-type stuff). So I'm still doing most of my work in the evenings when, let's face it, I'm f---in' tired.

The boy next door takes the kids out for an hour after school a couple of days a week and that allows me to make some calls and send some e-mails, but I'm going to need someone to do that for more than an hour with the baby earlier in the day. After school is just so close to supper time that I usually end up spending most of the "free" hour preparing for that.

The wonderful things about working from home are really great though, and make the odd late-night work session worthwhile: sitting in the back yard with the baby looking at bees on the flowers, going to the children's library and surrounding the baby and myself with books and taking our sweet time, talking with the older kids after school and helping them with their homework, and just not rushing all the time. It's a sweet, sweet deal.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?