Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Company

I'm amazed at how noisy budgies are! Why didn't anybody tell me this? Actually I'm glad to hear them. They're pleasant company and although I can't know this for sure, I think they may be happy here.

Speaking of pleasant company, I've been spending a lot of time with my friend L. lately, and enjoying it thoroughly. L. is a bit of a nomad, whose travels bring her to Montreal a couple of times a year and usually for a longish period in the summer. She worked here this summer and spent many of her weekends in NYC so I've only been seeing her for about a month. This is a pattern we have adopted in the last few years and I look forward to "my turn" to have her back in my life.

L. and I travelled around Europe when I was 19 and she was 23. We went back a couple of years later, and have a million funny, happy memories of those times. We also saw dozens of shows together and did tons of drugs and got drunk together countless times when we were part of the Montreal hardcore scene. L. is still a hardcore music fan, going to shows all over the place, and she's gradually covering her body with tattoos. I am married (10 years) and have 3 children, volunteer at the kids' school and hang out at the park and the library with my baby. I can't drink more than 2 beers, don't do drugs, I don't travel much and almost never go to shows. L. reminds me of the wild and crazy gal I used to be and at the same time she makes me feel like what I am now is totally cool and that I have a great life. My kids love her.

L. and I get along so well I think she is the only person I can imagine living with apart from my husband. She's like a sister to me, except that we never fight and never get tired of each other. She's hilarious and she thinks I'm funny too.

I have a wee fantasy that L. and I will go on The Amazing Race together. Isn't that pathetic of me? I bet we'd kick butt and win.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?