Saturday, October 22, 2005

The sun she do shine

Things are looking a bit better after a few days of bright sunshine and a pretty good driving lesson in which I wasn't yelled at, and even got a few "beautiful"s out of my instructor. It's so different when you're not driving at night in the rain, which is what I did for 3 out my 4 first lessons.

Yesterday was a busy busy day of socializing and work. My friend came over with her 11-day-old baby boy, who is so deliciously beautiful I felt like crying ever time I looked at him. My baby looked enormous in comparison, but I still didn't feel like I want to have a newborn again anytime soon, if ever. I wandered by another friend's house on our way home from the park and she happened to be standing in her doorway and wouldn't let me go on without coming in for tea. Then I got home and wrote a speech for someone who has to attend an event honouring a woman she's never heard of. Then another friend came over for supper and a movie. While I had planned to cook a lovely homemade feast for my friend, my day had got so away from me that we ordered souvlaki (and enjoyed it thoroughly with a bottle of hearty wine).

My daughter spent last night sleeping over at the Ecomuseum, with a nighttime tour. Lucky duck! My kids have experienced more in their childhood than I had by the time I was 30. I'm glad she can do these things with the Brownies, because the teachers in this province are working to rule, and so field trips and extra-curriculur activities have been suspended indefinitely. That rots.

Oh, speaking of my daughter, please permit another mother-moment. She was chosen as one of only four in her class to be part of a special advanced math group that meets once a week. The man who teaches this group is a 92-year-old phenomenon who does this as a volunteer in at least 2 schools that I know of. They don't do curriculum stuff: the first meeting they talked about Mars in perigee and learned about integers. He makes math interesting and encourages them to see math in real-world experience. It's so cool! I'm glad that something exists for gifted kids in her school, and that she has been recognized as one.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?