Monday, December 19, 2005

Whew!

After accomplishing none of my Christmas preparations, and feeling none of the spirit of Christmas, I embarked on this past weekend determined to go all out and get it all (or some of it anyway) done, so that I could start relaxing into the whole holiday thang.

Saturday was a day for staying at home, mostly because the mountains of snow outside were still, well, mountains of snow outside. We did our decorating, tree and wee village and creche and the twinkly lights and the coloured candles, etc. I also did Phase One of my Christmas baking, which is stuff for us and our guests. Phase Two is gift baking for others.

Sunday was house cleaning and the dread-filled Christmas shopping day. The shopping wasn't too bad, as we chose an out-of-the-way place that wasn't crowded, and I just went nuts with my shopping cart while D. distracted the older kids by taking them to a pet store and to see Santa.

All of this activity was done to the low hum of our new washing machine, working constantly to catch up on an entire week's worth of laundry. Our old machine broke last weekend, so we finally went even further into debt (!) and bought a new (floor model, but still new) machine. I feel so guilty for having something new, but I must admit that I sneak down the basement stairs whenever I get a chance just to gaze upon its shining surface and neat knobs.

A note about the snowfall and no-school day on Friday: My son spent 7 hours straight outside, no exaggeration, most of it shoveling snow, with some fort building and snowball fighting thrown in. When we were shoveling together to make a space for D.'s car, the little guy told me "I like to work, that's all!" He certainly does. Being his mother I had to find something to worry and nag about, so I hassled him about not eating or drinking enough. Hey, I like to nag, that's all!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?