Saturday, February 25, 2006

Their better instincts?

I got a pretty good fright on last night when, just past 8:30, there was an earthquake tremor. Tremors are always somewhere between "cool!" and "Oh shit. What if this continues and gets worse?", and last night's was no exception. It was disconcerting, but what really frightened me was the fact that, immediately after the shaking stopped, my birds (who had been sleeping peacefully) went completely berserk in their cage, screeching and bashing themselves against the bars as they tried desperately (I'm guessing) to flee the danger.

At first I didn't know what the sound was, it was so loud and strange. I had a split second of thinking that the wall was coming down or the roof was caving in. That's how out-of-place and weird it was. Of course I realized after that split second that it was the birds. I couldn't shake the feeling that they might know that another, worse tremor was coming. Then D. said "Well, they didn't really predict the first one, did they? I mean they only woke up when it was done."

Oooh yeah... Stupid birds!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?