Monday, March 06, 2006

Mandatory Oscar Post

I really enjoyed the Oscars last night. I liked Jon Stewart, laughed very heartily at some of his jokes and especially at the gay cowboy montage. Speaking of montages, I found the various tributes to genres, etc. throughout the night really entertaining and well done, although the "epics" one was lit-tle Spielberg-heavy, no?

I felt that it had some really good moments, like George Clooney's speech (Is he the coolest man this side of Johnny Depp or what?) and Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep doing the Altmanesque Altman intro. Some of the clothes were just fabulous and I HAVE to get the Obi-like thing that the winner for costume design (for Geisha) wore with a black dress. Could I pull that off? Just try me!

Salma Hayek could definitely make me swing the other way, and Russell Crowe would be welcome to try to swing me back. I'm so glad to see Michelle Williams happy and nominated and gorgeous with her man by her side. (I was a big fan of Dawson's Creek. So sue me!)

The only truly sad, uncomfortable moment: Poor Lauren Bacall! Why oh why didn't she just make a little joke about forgetting her glasses? Why didn't she ad-lib? Why did she have to keep trying to cover up the fact that she was so lost? Showing her so young and strong and sexy in the montage directly after made the whole debacle more sad...

But I liked it. For the first time ever, I think.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?