Tuesday, May 23, 2006

After the rain

Dudes!
I had to change the template again after my friend L. told me that she couldn't read the blog on her computer. I hope this one is better. I rather like it, even if it is almost exactly like my old one.

It has finally stopped raining for the time being, so the wee one and I went out to the library this morning. Man, it does a body good to get out and walk around in the sunshine. When I returned to my house, the house that had seemed to me small and grotty and depressing after, like, 40 days of rain, I felt so glad to be the owner of this cheerful, cute little house that I love. Sunshine just makes things better.

But rain has beneficial effects, for sure. I took a little tour of my garden today and the perennials are huge! The fruit-bearing tree and plants (We have cherries, strawberries, blueberries, redcurrants, raspberries and kiwis) are laden, and it looks like a very promising year for the garden. Our poppy, one that D. planted a few years ago as a single, bargain-basement reject, has nine incipient flowers on it this year. These are those spectacular big red poppies, so I can't wait to see them when they open.

And with any luck we'll be able to sit on our new deck to enjoy the beauty of it all this summer. We now have a back porch with 5 stairs and a perfectly nice stone patio, but the porch and stairs are totally rotten and have to be torn down, so it looks like we're going to have a deck built to replace it. I'm very excited about this; when we bought the house (almost 5 years ago), I had many plans for fixing it up and we haven't been able to afford any of them. A deck would be the first of the long list of things I hope to do within the next 5 or 6 years, given a big ol' lottery win.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?