Monday, May 15, 2006

A mother of a day

Yesterday was the best Mother's Day I've had yet, despite the fact that my oldest child was away at Brownie camp for most of it.

The morning was breakfast in bed, with homemade cards, cuddles from my son and a toddler whose bouncing on the bed spilled most of my tea. My husband and son worked hard making the cards and making the breakfast, and when I came down after a lovely lie-in there were presents: a hibiscus from my son, a pretty red box with a zebra finger puppet in it from my 2-year-old, and, surprise! a card telling me that I had a spa day set up for me at Le Sanctuaire, to take any time I want in the next 2 years. Yay! I've never done anything like that before and I am so stoked!

Then we lazed around, watched The Wind in the Willows, had a nice lunch and then got our butts up and went to Westmount Park. Well, we were supposed to go to the greenhouse beside the park, but we seem to have this uncanny ability to make the greenhouse close down whenever we intend to go there. It's true; we've tried 5 or 6 times in the last 2 years and every time, no matter when we try, the greenhouse is closed. I mean, a Sunday afternoon in May? What is up with that? Anyway, so we hung out at that beautiful park until we had to tear ourselves away to pick up my sodden daughter off the Brownie camp bus. It poured the whole time they were up at camp, but they went out anyway and had a good time and made little ladies out of pine cones for Mother's day gifts. Mine was a hula girl. Then home to watch another movie together and have an early supper (spaghetti with homemade bread rolls and salad), and bed for the kids and Survivor finale for the grownups. (The end of Survivor is so rarely satisfying. The most deserving person rarely wins, and one of the final two is always someone who "flew under the radar" and contributed little to the camp and sucked at the challenges. It's like life, though, and that's what makes Survivor good. Even when you're sure you know what's coming next, you don't.)

Anyway, a classic Mother's Day. One to remember.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?