Friday, August 11, 2006

A Long Time Coming

Our deck is in the very final stages of construction right now. The stairs are going on, and then the railings, then the benches, and then...voila! A big beautiful deck of our very own! I'm super excited about this, despite the fact that we have had to pay for it out of our credit line. But it's a fabulous deck, especially for the price.

My ex-brother-in-law is building it, and although I had to wait, I would never have asked anyone else do the work for me. He is a master craftsman whose work is always perfect, finished, strong and long-lasting. I can't say enough good things about this man's work. He's a very interesting and talented person, and I've always liked him, even loved him as a brother when he was still with my sister. It's been so nice having him here this week, talking and catching up, seeing that he's happy and doing well. He deserves it. The kids and I were saying this morning that we'll be sad to see him go. We'll have to think up another job for him so that we can see him again!

Isaac has been very funny, watching the work being done, drinking in the experience of watching "man's work". I told him that when he's older I will ask Tom to hire him as a summer helper. He's so into working and doing, he'd be a great helper and eventually a very handy man, and maybe even a craftsman himself. That's if he ever grows past the stage of crying and throwing things when he can't figure out how to do something the first time. Sigh.

Comments:
It is nice. Sorry, I was walking past your house last week and you weren't home, so I had a quick peek in the backyard :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?