Friday, October 06, 2006

As I've said before on this blog, I like to walk -- to go for long walks around NDG and Montreal West. I have a few set walks that I've timed so that I can get back home in about an hour, and there are about 4 or 5 of them, for variety. Lately I've added a new feature to the end of some of my walks, so that I take a detour through Concordia University's Loyola campus before coming home. I do this because I like the campus and love the feeling I get from being there again (I attended Concordia for my undergrad). The other reason is The Emergence of the Chief, a beautiful, powerful piece of bronze sculpture in the courtyard outside the new science building. The new, the old and the ancient come together in this place, and the size and importance of this sculpture in this context are reassuring and right, it seems to me. It makes me happy to see it as I pass. My kids love it too. D. takes them there to climb and run around a bit on the weekends sometimes. It's good to live near the campus; green spaces, public art, free football... It's a bonus feature of this already-great neighbourhood. D. and I were married in the Loyola Chapel, and I like to think that my kids might go to school there someday. D. will be attending classes there again in January, so I guess we feel like we're a part of it. If you'd like to read a bit more about The Emergence of the Chief, here's a link.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?