Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Message in a bottle

Okay, guys who write my new favourite show Heroes: With an ending like the one you wrote for the latest episode, I can almost forgive you the unbelievable sexism that has one of the 2 female characters stripping down to her underwear in every episode (and not just because she's a stripper) and the other already a victim of rape and murder. Please respect your female characters and give them something resembling interesting personalities. Even if the stripper does have a totally rockin' ass, I don't need to see it all the time. But that ending? You blew my freakin' mind, boys. Keep that shit up.

Comments:
Immortal Cheerleader Girl is uninteresting? Both she and Travel Boy are the best parts of the show!

Everybody else is just a necessary evil so I can see more of the adventures of Hiro and Claire.

There's something dark and quirky about Claire that makes her most intriguing. Something must have driven her to figure out she's immortal (she did refer to her experiments as "attempts" after all). Now that she knows she's resilient and can take on the worst the world can throw at her, she can start meeting the world head-on instead of just being pushed around.

Self-confident. Tough. Sounds like the opposite of a sexist or dull portrayal to me.

Good Girl/Bad Girl is just a goofy character. I've never heard of a character so dumb as to borrow tuition money from the Mob. I don't care how high she can kick or how good she looks doing it, the character lowers the bar.
 
I guess my problem with the cheerleader is not so much who she is (but why a cheerleader?)but what happens to her. Or happened to her. Okay, she did save a guy from burning, which shows some sort of agency, but it's hard for me to see past the quarterback-pep-rally rape scene. I thought that was stupid and nasty. And they seem to like to use her to try out all their spe
 
I don't know what happened there, but my comments were going on too long anyway. In short, I haven't liked the way the character is written so far, but i do think she'll become more well-rounded as the series goes on.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?