Saturday, October 14, 2006

Two tangentially-related thoughts on life as a mother

1.
It seems like a lot of the "mommy" blogs I read are from women with one child. I can't help feeling like they have no idea. Isn't that terrible? I've always hated that Mommy Superior thing, where the more kids you have the more valid you feel. I certainly felt like a real, full-fledged mother when I only had one child. I guess we fall victim to our own weaknesses. Good on ya', mothers of one! But here's to mothers with 2 or more!
2.
On those rare occasions when I'm home alone, I tidy up and make everything just so, then sit and look at things, like the living room and the wood floors and the birds and I spend many minutes looking out the big front window. I enjoy these quiet moments; they're rare. But every time, I think about how it would be if they weren't rare, if I lived alone or my children were all grown and D. and I were alone together again. It seems like I can't remember the time before we had children, and now I have a hard time imagining a time when they're not underfoot most of every waking moment. I love quiet. I love tidiness. I love thinking and reading. I love solitude. But I love crazy, noisy, messy, scattered, frazzled life better. It's exhausting good fun. Thank goodness I have a good husband who loves being a father.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?