Thursday, November 16, 2006

Trends

I like fashion. I like to watch what's happening in the world of high and low fashion and to try to predict what's going to become the next thing everyone will want to have in their wardrobe. Because I don't have money I never actually buy anything that isn't a) in the good will or salvation army store, b) on the last-season liquidation rack in a store that was cheap to begin with, or c) from a garage sale. So I'm an armchair fashionista. My own style is not really a style, just a desperate attempt to find something that looks halfway decent in my ancient wardrobe (I wear a 20-year-old cardigan just about every day, and my 15-year-old black velvet blazer stinks because I can't bear to part with it long enough to get it cleaned.

I do dressy much better than casual. Being a dressy person means that I have trouble looking right as a stay-at-home mother. I'm usually way overdressed or looking like I'm trying too hard to look like I don't care. When I worked in my last job I dressed pretty nicely every day (still from my half-assed wardrobe) and remembered how much I enjoy putting together outfits and trying new combinations. I think that if I had money I'd be stylin' hard, but that's not gonna happen.

I don't like to jump on fashion trends, but every now and then some new trend just makes me go "yes. that works." For instance, I like peasant skirts (don't have one though). Generally speaking, I just say "psshh. what fool would wear that?" This is the case with skinny jeans. I frankly don't think they look good. Leggings I can get on board with, but really, aren't these styles only flattering to skinny 12-year-old girls (like the ones they use in fashion advertising?)

I do try out some of the trends on my daughter, who has a funky and fun sense of style. She loves the second-hand stores as much as I do, and we like talking about fashion.

What would I never wear? Well, sweat pants (except for working out, but yoga pants are so much better), velour track suit (even though I like them on other people), a doo-rag. Apart from that, I could probably be brought 'round to trying just about anything. Hell, if I lost 30 pounds, even skinny jeans might make the cut, 20 years after the trend.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?